On May 25, Friends of UTokyo Inc. (FUTI) hosted, jointly with the NY Icho-kai and Satsuki-kai America, a lecture meeting by Prof. Kiichi Fujiwara, Graduate Schools for Law and Politics, Policy Alternative Research Institute, UTokyo. The lecture meeting was held at a conference room of The Jin Law Group LLLP in mid-Manhattan. About 30 alumni and friends attended the meeting, which turned out to be a very stimulating gathering.
After a welcome greeting by Ms. Ruth Jin, Esq., Prof. Fujiwara gave a talk titled, “From Free World to Rivalry: Power and Competition in World Affairs: The Middle East, Russia and China.” He commented that the global politics from 1991 to about 2000 may be characterized by expanding democratic governments and market economy, as exemplified by the former Communist nations in Russia and Eastern Europe, as well as South Africa, Thailand, or Indonesia. However, Prof. Fujiwara asserted that now global politics have entered a period of rivalry with the rise of Russia and China, which may aspire for regional hegemony, leading to lack of initiative in face of emerging disorder in the Middle East and Northern Africa. His talk was followed by a lively “Q&A” session with the audience that included his former students at UTokyo. They asked questions about the U.S. government’s policy regarding the Middle East, internal politics in China, the possibility of a third World War, and many others. FUTI’s Director, Dr. Yuichiro Kuwama, gave a closing remark.
Articles in this newsletter:
- The FUTI Board Appoints Dr. Ken Furuya as a New Member
- Makoto Gonokami Begins UTokyo Presidency
- Nine UTokyo Students and 11 U.S. Students Receive FUTI’s 2015 Summer Scholarships
- Mr. Wiegman of Modesto High School, California and Mr. Smith of Summit High School, Oregon, Receive FUTI’s Travel Grants to Attend PEAK
- President Hamada Participates in a “UTokyo Day” at Princeton University
- Princeton-UTokyo Educational Partnership on Plasma Physics
- UTokyo Professor Kiichi Fujiwara Speaks in New York
- "Go Global Study Abroad Fair 2015" Held at the Komaba Campus
- Renovation of Yasuda Auditorium Completed!