At the Board meeting held on March 10, 2015, the FUTI Board elected Prof. Ken Furuya, Executive Vice President of UTokyo, as a new Director. Effective April 1, 2015, he succeeded Dr. Masako Egawa, former Executive Vice President of UTokyo, who had been an FUTI Director since February 2012.
Ken Furuya (古谷 研) is the Executive Vice President of The University of Tokyo, following his appointment from April 2013 to March 2015 as Dean of the Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences of The University of Tokyo. Furuya received his Bachelor’s degree in botany (1975), as well as his Master’s (1978) and Doctoral degrees (1981) in fisheries science from The University of Tokyo. He was introduced to biological oceanography as a graduate student at the Ocean Research Institute of The University of Tokyo, and has since been working on various aspects of plankton ecology in the sea and its role in marine material cycling. He became a full professor in the Department of Aquatic Bioscience of The University of Tokyo in 1999. His recent interests extend toward multidisciplinary research on advancing our understanding of ocean biogeochemistry and ecosystem dynamics for sustainable use of ecosystem services with particular attention to the high seas. Within this context, he is involved in joint work to evaluate ecosystem functions for ocean governance to maintain and manage ecosystem services. Furuya has served as a member of multiple international programs, including a member of the scientific steering committee of the Global Ecology and Oceanography of Harmful Algal Bloom (GEOHAB) program jointly initiated by the Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR) for the International Council for Science (ICSU) and by the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO, and as Chair of GEOHAB Asia.
Articles in this newsletter:
- The FUTI Board Appoints Dr. Ken Furuya as a New Member
- Makoto Gonokami Begins UTokyo Presidency
- Nine UTokyo Students and 11 U.S. Students Receive FUTI’s 2015 Summer Scholarships
- Mr. Wiegman of Modesto High School, California and Mr. Smith of Summit High School, Oregon, Receive FUTI’s Travel Grants to Attend PEAK
- President Hamada Participates in a “UTokyo Day” at Princeton University
- Princeton-UTokyo Educational Partnership on Plasma Physics
- UTokyo Professor Kiichi Fujiwara Speaks in New York
- "Go Global Study Abroad Fair 2015" Held at the Komaba Campus
- Renovation of Yasuda Auditorium Completed!