On Saturday February 9th, 2013, the Annual Meeting of San Francisco Akamonkai (the UTokyo Alumni Group of the region) was held at Daly City Golf Club in the outskirts of San Francisco. The Akamonkai has approximately 80 registered members. The meeting was attended by about 40 members and Mr. Isao Matsuura, the president of Rakuyu-kai (Kyoto University Alumni Group), was invited as a guest. The participants enjoyed socialization over casual chats with cocktails for about 30 minutes, before they took their seats. After a welcoming speech by President Takashi Nakamura, Mr. Yasuhiko Okiyama, class of 1956, proposed a toast.
Prof. Emeritus Shoshichi Kobayashi of Mathematics Department of U.C. Berkeley, who was the most senior member of the Akamonkai , passed away on August 29, 2012, thus his wife Mrs. Yukiko Kobayashi, his younger brother Hisashi Kobayashi (FUTI President) and his wife Masae were invited to this year’s meeting. After the lunch, Prof. Kobayashi gave a 45 minute talk entitled “The Life and Achievements of Shoshichi Kobayashi,” (The slides and You Tube video can be seen by visiting http://hp.hisashikobayashi.com/). In closing, he talked about the history and the current activities of FUTI, and asked for support from the members.
After Ms. Miharu Furihata, Treasurer, presented a summary of the financial report of Year 2012, Mr. Kenji Karasaki, a humorous and entertaining character, presided over the raffle game, using the gifts from the members as prizes. The participants introduced themselves in turn as they won the raffle game, and talked about their latest news in a lively and jovial atmosphere. The party adjourned after a group photo.
Articles in this newsletter:
- Dr. Kuwama Elected as Treasurer and Director
- Selection of 2013 Summer Scholarship Recipients Begins
- Fundraising Campaign Continues: Interim Report and Reminder
- Donor’s Message
- UTokyo and Princeton Establish Strategic Partnership
- FUTI Director Professor Koichi Hamada Appointed as Special Advisor to the Abe Cabinet
- FUTI President Kobayashi Receives the C&C Prize
- Dr. Kurokawa Lectures on Investigation of Fukushima Nuclear Accident
- Chicago Akamonkai’s Year-End Party
- The 2013 Annual Meeting of SF Akamonkai Held
- NY Ichokai’s 12th Annual Reception Held
- The Ito International Research Center Awaits You!
- Book Review："America Knows that Japan’s Economy Will Revive" (in Japanese)
- Book Review: Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap: "Why Did Japan Stop Growing–Policy Options for Japan’s Revival" (in Japanese)
- February 2013 Special Issue of Journal “Mathematical Seminar” (in Japanese) in Honor of Shoshichi Kobayashi