The comprehensive renovation of the Yasuda Auditorium at the University of Tokyo, which was undertaken from the academic year 2013 to 2014, was just completed. The renovation entailed upgrades in earthquake resistance and fireproofing, and making modifications for “barrier-free” accessibility. No change was made to the exterior appearance of the auditorium, but great care was taken in creating a safe and harmonious environment for hosting campus events.
Launching a fundraising campaign, “The Yasuda Auditorium Renovation Project,” the University of Tokyo Foundation (Todai Kikin) sought support from a wide range of potential donors. As of the end of March 2015, the campaign collected ¥301,422, 668 (slightly over US$3 million) from 2,198 donors.
On March 20th, upon completion of the renovation and about one week before the University’s annual graduation ceremony, major donors to the campaign and those of the Foundation ( i.e. Special Supporting Members who have donated ¥300,000 or more) were invited to attend a site-viewing party at the newly renovated auditorium. Nearly 2000 donors and their families participated.
A special benefit given to major donors of this campaign was an engraved nameplate on the seats in the auditorium. The University of Tokyo Foundation reported with gratitude that the target number of requests for engraving was received for both ground and second floor seats.
(Abbreviated from the original in Japanese. Written by Ms. Azumi Tezuka of Development Office, UTokyo)
Articles in this newsletter:
- The FUTI Board Appoints Dr. Ken Furuya as a New Member
- Makoto Gonokami Begins UTokyo Presidency
- Nine UTokyo Students and 11 U.S. Students Receive FUTI’s 2015 Summer Scholarships
- Mr. Wiegman of Modesto High School, California and Mr. Smith of Summit High School, Oregon, Receive FUTI’s Travel Grants to Attend PEAK
- President Hamada Participates in a “UTokyo Day” at Princeton University
- Princeton-UTokyo Educational Partnership on Plasma Physics
- UTokyo Professor Kiichi Fujiwara Speaks in New York
- "Go Global Study Abroad Fair 2015" Held at the Komaba Campus
- Renovation of Yasuda Auditorium Completed!