On March 8, 2012, following the Board and Advisory Board meeting, FUTI hosted a reception in honor of Prof. Akihiko Tanaka, Vice President of International Affairs at UTokyo and Director of FUTI, who would become the President of Japan International Cooperation Association (JICA) on April 1, 2012. To celebrate the occasion and to thank Prof. Tanaka for his contribution to FUTI, 25 people were invited, including the Board members, Advisory Committee members, Directors of New York-area UTokyo alumni associations and several individuals who have generously supported Friends of UTokyo, Inc.
The reception began with beautiful music “Three madrigals for violin and viola, H. 313 composed by Bohuslav Martinu (1890-1959),” performed by Violinist Amy Iwazumi and Violist John Vaida.
The party started with a toast proposed by Mr. Motoatsu Sakurai,Chair of FUTI ‘s Advisory Committee, for Prof. Tanaka’s health and success in his new job. After a brief remark by Prof. Tanaka regarding challenges of his new job at JICA, all the participants enjoyed a delightful evening with congenial conversations, delicious food and good wine (Note: Each participant, except for the honored guest and musicians, paid a fee of $70, since FUTI has a strict policy not to spend its money on meals and drinks).
Articles in this newsletter:
- Profiles of FUTI VOLUNTEERS
- NY Icho-kai’s 11th Annual Reception held
- The UTokyo-Yale Initiative Hosted Junior Scholar Conference
- UTokyo-Yale Initiative (TYI) Discusses “Japan and China for Four Decades: Cooperation and Competition since 1972”
- IPMU Becomes a Kavli Institute
- Kagakusha Network Hosts a Seminar on "A Guidepost for Aspiring Global Leaders in Science" on July 22 in Tokyo
- FUTI participates in the “Go Global 2012” Fair at the Komaba Campus
- Reminder: Annual Fundraising Campaign Will End Soon
- Reception in Honor of Prof. Akihiko Tanaka Held
- Eight U.S. Students and Nine UTokyo Students Receive FUTI Leadership Awards
- FUTI’s Board and Advisory Committee Joint Meeting Held
- Mr. Sakurai resigns from the Advisory Committee
- Mr. Shuta Kobayashi becomes Secretary of FUTI
- The FUTI Board appoints Dr. Masako Egawa as a new member