A “Welcome and Farewell Party” was held on Friday July 12 at Capo PELLICANO Restaurant in the Medical School Building of the Hongo Campus. The party was attended by 41 GSP (Global Summer Programs) students from abroad, five UTokyo GSP participants, two IARU Sustainability Program exchange students, and three UTokyo students of the UT-IRIS (University of Tokyo, International Relations Institution of Students), a volunteer organization which helps organize such exchange programs as GSP events.
The party began with a welcome speech by Dr. Masako Egawa, Executive VP of UTokyo and a director of FUTI, followed by a toast by Professor Masashi Haneda, Vice President of UTokyo. Then, all students introduced themselves, similar to last year’s reception. A closing remark was made by Professor Takeo Fujiwara, Project Professor of the Center for Research and Development of Higher Education, who has been in charge of UTokyo’s GSP program since its inception.
Dr. Egawa remarked, “The IARU GSP program serves as a flagship of short program at UTokyo, as we aim to become a ‘Global Campus,’ and we have been reinforcing GSP activities. We sincerely hope that friendships and partnerships will be cultivated between UTokyo students and the GSP participants from abroad.”
Mr. Vibol Heng and Ms. Patty Lan (both from Yale University) and Ms. Jessica Wong (from the University of California, Berkeley) who are recipients of the FUTI Global Leadership Award attended the event and enjoyed their conversation with Dr. Egawa and staff of the Division of International Affairs. The award recipients said they were grateful to FUTI for the valuable opportunity they experienced at UTokyo.
Articles in this newsletter:
- Alumni in Japan and Illinois Make the Fourth Annual Campaign Successful
- The Annual Board and Advisory Committee Meeting Held
- Eight More Receive FUTI’s Summer Scholarships for Participating in GSP and Other Summer Programs
- UTokyo Students Challenge Summer Sessions at Yale
- Reception Held to Welcome UTokyo Students on a “Taiken” Program
- 2013 UTRIP Reception Held
- GSP Reception Held at UTokyo
- 450 Students Attend Overseas Study Orientation Program at Komaba
- FUTI’s Support of Kavli-IPMU’s Program Continues
- FUTI’s Grant to the Columbia-UTokyo Joint Lecture Program Renewed
- Dr. Fumiko Tamura Appointed "Advisor to Treasurer"
- Dr. Shigenori Matsushita joins the Award Committee
- Mr. Seiei Ono, FUTI Advisory Committee Member, Returns to Japan
- Mr. Sung Kie Paik, a New York Ichokai Member, Dies
- Blog Article: ”Science of Vowels” by Shigenori Matsushita
- Book Review, “Mathematicians Who Lost Their Faces: Essays in Idleness on Mathematics,” by Shoshichi Kobayashi