On November 3rd, Prof. Ito gave the above-referenced lecture at Tiger Pacific Capital, LP in mid-Manhattan. The event was sponsored by Friends of UTokyo and Satsuki-kai America. Dr. Ito is a professor at Columbia University and during the summer term serves as Senior Professor at Policy Research Graduate School University in Japan.
Professor Ito received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Hitotsubashi University and a doctorate in economics from Harvard University. He is Professor Emeritus of the University of Tokyo and Hitotsubashi University. He currently serves as Professor at the School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA) and Director of the Program on Public Pension and Sovereign Funds at the Columbia Business School’s Japan Economic Management Institute (CJEB). For Dr. Ito’s background and publications, see http://www3.grips.ac.jp/~t-ito/.
The lecture, “Issues in the Political Situation and Economic Policy in Japan after the General Election” was opened with greetings by Dr. Masaaki Yamada, President of Friends of UTokyo. In his presentation Prof. Ito discussed a wide range of topics including 1) the results of the general election in Japan held on October 22, 2) monetary policies in Japan and the US, and 3) the influence of the political and economic situation in the US and Japan on various topics. In addition, he addressed more specific issues about Japan which are of concern to New York investors such as, “Will there be major changes in Japan’s monetary and fiscal policy?”, “Will there be further promotion of Abenomics?”, and “Does the assertion to support constitutional revision have a positive effect on economic policy?”
The lecture was attended by alumni of the University of Tokyo and Hitotsubashi University which is the alma mater of Mr. Ito. It was a great success with attendance exceeding the capacity. Participants were active in professions in diverse institutions such as banks, trading companies, hedge funds, universities (physics, computer science), and medicine. Questions were raised from various perspectives reflecting the diverse audience. The Q & A session lasted over one hour, exceeding the originally scheduled 30 minutes. Tiger Pacific Capital LP Managing Partner Mr. Junji Takegami gave closing remarks, thanking Dr. Ito and attendees.
One of the attendees who is a banker commented, “It was very valuable to be able to exchange ideas with a distinguished economist like Professor Ito about the issues which were unclear to me before.”
Mr. Ito’s article series in Forbes Japan, “Let’s Understand Japanese Economy Through Numbers” can be accessed here: https://forbesjapan.com/author/detail/290
Articles in this newsletter:
- FUTI Appoints Dr. Karasaki, President of the San Francisco Akamon-kai, and Dr. Suzuki, President of Satsuki-kai America, as Member of the Advisory Committee
- Struggles as an American Graduate School Student
- Excerpts of Reports by 2017 Summer Scholarship Recipients
- Professor Steven Wilkinson Delivers the 9th Yamakawa Kenjiro Memorial Lecture
- Professor Norio Matsuki Lectures on Sleep and Sleeping Pills
- Professor Takatoshi Ito Lectures in New York: “Issues in the Political Situation and Economic Policy in Japan after the General Election”
- FUTI Announces 2017-18 Fundraising Campaign
- Boosting Individual Donations is Imperative
- Annual Board and Advisory Committee Joint Meeting Held
- FUTI Volunteer, Ms. Akiko Sokai