The FUTI Award Selection Committee has selected nine UTokyo students and 11 U.S. students for this summer’s scholarship program.
Five out of the selected nine UTokyo students will participate in various summer programs at U.S. universities, such as University of California, Berkeley, Harvard University, University of Michigan, Princeton University, and Stanford University; three will attend English language courses at Yale University, Columbia University, and U.C. Berkeley; and one will participate in the Global Summer Program (GSP) at Yale. Six are science or engineering majors, while three are humanities or social science majors. Five were undergraduates (three Sophomores, one Junior, one Senior), and three are graduate students (three M1, one M2) at the time of FUTI application submission.
Seven out of the 11 U.S. awardees will conduct research as summer interns at UTokyo’s laboratories. Five of these recipients will participate in the University of Tokyo Research Internship Program (UTRIP), which is hosted by professors in the School of Sciences at UTokyo. Two are going to participate in the University of Tokyo Summer Internship Program in Kashiwa (UTSIP-Kashiwa) hosted by the Graduate School of Frontier Sciences. In addition, two MIT students will take internships at UTokyo science laboratories. The selection process for FUTI awards was highly competitive. For instance, the four UTRIP participants have been selected from over 40 U.S. undergraduates, many of whom were top students from leading universities in the U.S.
In addition to these internship students, two Yale students (both Sophomores) have been selected to participate in the Global Summer Program (GSP) courses offered by UTokyo.
The FUTI summer scholarship award, a.k.a. the “FUTI Global Leadership Award (FUTI-GLA),” is designed to nurture future global leaders of Japan and the U.S. One of the selection criteria is a demonstration of leadership quality.
List of Scholarship Recipients
English Language Training Courses (3 UTokyo Students)
- Takato Masuda (Law School, 2nd Year): Yale University English Language Institute, English for Law
- Haruaki Tamura (Engineering, Master 1st): U.C. Berkeley Summer English Language Studies
- Yuki Haba (General Systems Sciences, Master 1st):Columbia University Summer Language Course
Non-Language Training Courses at US Universities (5 UTokyo Students)
- Fahd Khan (Chemistry, Masters 1st): Princeton Research Collaborators Program, Princeton University
- Tokuyou Li (Science I, sophomore): U.C. Berkeley Regular Summer Session
- Sayumi Miyano (Law and Politics, Senior): Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR), University of Michigan
- Daichi Tsuna (Science II, Sophomore): Stanford Summer International Honors Program, Stanford University
- Natsuki Furukawa (Biology, Junior):Harvard SummerSchool
GSP at Yale University (1 UTokyo student)
- Hiroya Sato (Economics, Sophomore): “Moral Foundations of Politics”
UTRIP at UTokyo (5 U.S. students)
- Susanna Elledge (U.C. Berkeley, Chemistry, Chemical Biology, Junior): Professor Takeaki Ozawa
- Elbegduuren Erdenee (Princeton University, Molecular Biology/Neuroscience, Sophomore): Professor Takeaki Ozawa
- Yuka Esashi (Reed College, Physics, Sophomore): Professor Kazuki Koketsu
- Hsu (Indy) Liu (Reed College, Physics, Junior): Professor Hirofumi Sakai
- Kenneth Wu (U.C. Berkeley, Nutritional Science and Toxicology, Sophomore): Professor Shu Kobayashi
UTSIP Kashiwa Program at UTokyo (2 U.S. students)
- Masahiro Nakanishi (Brown University, Science, Applied Math and Economics, Sophomore)
- Maki Tohmon (Pomona College, Biology, Sophomore)
GSP Program at UTokyo (2 Yale students)
- Claudia See (Biomedical Engineering, Sophomore): Nanoscience
- Carolyn Zhang (Electrical Engineering, Sophomore): Nanoscience
MISTI Program at UTokyo (2 MIT students)
- Qiaochu Li (Material Science and Engineering, Ph.D. program 1st Year): Professor Takuzo Aida
- Krithika Swaminathan (Mechanical Engineering, Sophomore): Professor Yoshihiko Nakamura
Articles in this newsletter:
- The FUTI Board Appoints Dr. Ken Furuya as a New Member
- Makoto Gonokami Begins UTokyo Presidency
- Nine UTokyo Students and 11 U.S. Students Receive FUTI’s 2015 Summer Scholarships
- Mr. Wiegman of Modesto High School, California and Mr. Smith of Summit High School, Oregon, Receive FUTI’s Travel Grants to Attend PEAK
- President Hamada Participates in a “UTokyo Day” at Princeton University
- Princeton-UTokyo Educational Partnership on Plasma Physics
- UTokyo Professor Kiichi Fujiwara Speaks in New York
- "Go Global Study Abroad Fair 2015" Held at the Komaba Campus
- Renovation of Yasuda Auditorium Completed!