Mr. Sung Kie Paik (白成基), a CPA, a UTokyo alumnus (1983) and a resident of Union City, New Jersey died of an accident on April 14, 2013.
Mr. Paik was born and grew up in Seoul, South Korea and attended Seoul Junior High School. He graduated from Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS) in South Korea and received a scholarship to study political science and international relations at the University of Tokyo (Faculty of Liberal Arts , MA, 1983), where he was a member of the late Prof. Shinkichi Eto (衞藤 瀋吉) ‘s group. Upon graduating from UTokyo, he went to the University of Oxford in England to study economics. He then moved to the U.S. where he obtained a CPA certificate and has been working as a tax consultant and held his office in Palisade Park, New Jersey in recent years. He was the founder and partner of S.K. Associates, an accounting and financial service firm which advises clients on cross border investments involving Asia.
Mr. Paik was an avid swimmer and golfer. He also traveled extensively to Asia, Africa and Europe. He was a loving and supportive father and husband, a vivacious storyteller, and a dedicated friend. He was an active participant in events of the NY Ichokai, and was a generous donor to FUTI. He was greatly admired for his kindness, open-mindedness, and good sense of humor. Professor Hisashi Kobayashi, President of FUTI says: “Mr. Paik has been a loyal alumnus and a generous supporter of FUTI. He also gave me a valuable advice on financial reports when I was serving as Acting Treasurer of FUTI a year ago. The last time I saw his smiling face was at the NY Ichokai’s Annual Meeting on February 15, 2013, just two months earlier. I am shocked to hear this tragic news. My heartfelt condolence goes to the family who lost their loved one all of sudden. He was a very kind person of unassuming personality, and will be greatly missed by all of us who were associated with him.”
Mr. Paik is survived by his wife Hye Hyang, and daughter, Julian.
Articles in this newsletter:
- Alumni in Japan and Illinois Make the Fourth Annual Campaign Successful
- The Annual Board and Advisory Committee Meeting Held
- Eight More Receive FUTI’s Summer Scholarships for Participating in GSP and Other Summer Programs
- UTokyo Students Challenge Summer Sessions at Yale
- Reception Held to Welcome UTokyo Students on a “Taiken” Program
- 2013 UTRIP Reception Held
- GSP Reception Held at UTokyo
- 450 Students Attend Overseas Study Orientation Program at Komaba
- FUTI’s Support of Kavli-IPMU’s Program Continues
- FUTI’s Grant to the Columbia-UTokyo Joint Lecture Program Renewed
- Dr. Fumiko Tamura Appointed "Advisor to Treasurer"
- Dr. Shigenori Matsushita joins the Award Committee
- Mr. Seiei Ono, FUTI Advisory Committee Member, Returns to Japan
- Mr. Sung Kie Paik, a New York Ichokai Member, Dies
- Blog Article: ”Science of Vowels” by Shigenori Matsushita
- Book Review, “Mathematicians Who Lost Their Faces: Essays in Idleness on Mathematics,” by Shoshichi Kobayashi