On April 10, 2012, the FUTI (Friends of UTokyo, Inc.) Board elected Mr. Shuta Kobayashi as a new Secretary of FUTI. He has succeeded, effective April 15, 2012, Mr. Yasuhide Watanabe who had been an interim secretary since May 2011.
Mr. Shuta Kobayashi received LL.B. and LL.M. degrees in Public Law in 2001 and 2004, respectively, both from the Faculty of Law, UTokyo, and an LL. M. from Harvard Law School in 2006. He is a senior associate at Pricewaterhouse Coopers LLP’s New York office, where he joined in 2007 after an internship at the Law Offices of Shen-Shin Lu, Boston for about a year. He specializes in international tax planning for U.S. and Japanese multinational corporations.
Mr. Kobayashi is an Attorney in New York (admitted in 2007), and has authored several articles related to Japanese and U.S. tax law, ranging from tax & social security policy to tax shelters.
Regarding his appointment as Secretary, Mr. Kobayashi says, “I am honored to join the FUTI. It means a lot to contribute to the University of Tokyo while living overseas. ” Prof. Hisashi Kobayashi, FUTI President stated, “We are much delighted to have this young and brilliant alumnus join FUTI as Secretary. I would like to thank Mr. Watanabe for having graciously served FUTI for the past one year, and also for recommending Shuta-san as his successor.
Articles in this newsletter:
- Profiles of FUTI VOLUNTEERS
- NY Icho-kai’s 11th Annual Reception held
- The UTokyo-Yale Initiative Hosted Junior Scholar Conference
- UTokyo-Yale Initiative (TYI) Discusses “Japan and China for Four Decades: Cooperation and Competition since 1972”
- IPMU Becomes a Kavli Institute
- Kagakusha Network Hosts a Seminar on "A Guidepost for Aspiring Global Leaders in Science" on July 22 in Tokyo
- FUTI participates in the “Go Global 2012” Fair at the Komaba Campus
- Reminder: Annual Fundraising Campaign Will End Soon
- Reception in Honor of Prof. Akihiko Tanaka Held
- Eight U.S. Students and Nine UTokyo Students Receive FUTI Leadership Awards
- FUTI’s Board and Advisory Committee Joint Meeting Held
- Mr. Sakurai resigns from the Advisory Committee
- Mr. Shuta Kobayashi becomes Secretary of FUTI
- The FUTI Board appoints Dr. Masako Egawa as a new member