Mr. Seiei Ono, a member of the FUTI Advisory Committee since April 2011, who was President and CEO of Mitsubishi Corporation (Americas) from April 2012 till June 2013, recently returned to Japan and retired from the company. He will join Mitsubishi Research Institute, Inc. (MRI) on October 1, 2013.
After graduating from UTokyo in 1975 (Economics) , Mr. Ono joined MC, and rose through the ranks to become President & CEO of Mitsubishi International Corporation (MIC) in April 2010. He also served as President of the Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (JCCI) of New York from April 2011 to April 2013, and was on the board of directors of the New York Botanical Garden. He was a generous supporter of non-profit organizations such as FUTI and the Japanese Mental Clinic at Hamilton Madison House.
Dr.Yuichiro Kuwama, a member of FUTI Board, and a physician serving the Japanese community in New York, speaks about Mr. Ono as follows: “The Japanese Mental Clinic has been serving as the last resort for Japanese people in dire need of help. At one time, it was in danger of closure due to financial difficulties. As Mr. Ono and Mitsubishi Corporation saved the institution with their generous support, many patients were brought back from abyss of despair. I was deeply moved by his commitment to philanthropy.”
FUTI President Hisashi Kobayashi said, “We congratulate Mr. Ono on his illustrious career at MC of the past 38 years and admire him for the numerous achievements he made as a superb global leader. We are also most grateful to him and MC (Americas) for the strong support of Friends of UTokyo. We wish him a successful new career at MRI.”
Mr. Yasuyuki Sugiura, also a UTokyo alumnus (Economics 1978) , has succeeded Mr. Ono as President and CEO of Mitsubishi Corporation (Americas).
Articles in this newsletter:
- Alumni in Japan and Illinois Make the Fourth Annual Campaign Successful
- The Annual Board and Advisory Committee Meeting Held
- Eight More Receive FUTI’s Summer Scholarships for Participating in GSP and Other Summer Programs
- UTokyo Students Challenge Summer Sessions at Yale
- Reception Held to Welcome UTokyo Students on a “Taiken” Program
- 2013 UTRIP Reception Held
- GSP Reception Held at UTokyo
- 450 Students Attend Overseas Study Orientation Program at Komaba
- FUTI’s Support of Kavli-IPMU’s Program Continues
- FUTI’s Grant to the Columbia-UTokyo Joint Lecture Program Renewed
- Dr. Fumiko Tamura Appointed "Advisor to Treasurer"
- Dr. Shigenori Matsushita joins the Award Committee
- Mr. Seiei Ono, FUTI Advisory Committee Member, Returns to Japan
- Mr. Sung Kie Paik, a New York Ichokai Member, Dies
- Blog Article: ”Science of Vowels” by Shigenori Matsushita
- Book Review, “Mathematicians Who Lost Their Faces: Essays in Idleness on Mathematics,” by Shoshichi Kobayashi