The Award Committee of Friends of UTokyo (FUTI) has granted its first travel scholarship to Mr. Chiwu Ishido Kim, a graduate of Stuyvesant High School, New York City, who enrolled in the PEAK (Programs in English at Komaba) of UTokyo in the Fall of 2014. Mr. Kim, an Honor student at Stuyvesant, has been an active volunteer at the Community Works NYC, Ikuei Japanese Saturday School in Manhattan and other organizations. At UTokyo, he intends to work towards building a stronger bond between PEAK participants and a broad Todai community. The FUTI scholarship covers a round trip airfare between his home in New York City and Tokyo.
Created in October 2012, PEAK comprises the first undergraduate degree programs at the University of Tokyo taught entirely in English. For the entering class of 2014 Fall, the programs selected, through a highly competitive process, 61 students from 15 countries, including China, Korea, Vietnam, New Zealand, USA, and UK. PEAK consists of the “International Program on Japan in East Asia” and the “International Program on Environmental Sciences.” (For details, see the PEAK website)
With the addition of Mr. Kim, the number of 2014 FUTI scholarship recipients is twenty-one, thirteen of whom are UTokyo students who studied at U.S. universities and seven are U.S. students who participated in various summer courses or internship programs held at UTokyo. In the case of Mr.Kim, he enrolled in a four-year program at UTokyo.
(Read this article in Japanese)
Articles in this newsletter:
- The Fifth Annual Campaign Not as Successful as in the Past
- The Annual Board Meeting and Board-AC Joint Meeting Held
- FUTI Website Completely Redesigned
- Excerpts of Reports by FUTI’s Scholarship Recipients in 2014
- FUTI Research Grants to Columbia-UTokyo Team and Berkeley’s BCTP-UTokyo’s Kavli IPMU Renewed
- Receptions for GSP and UTRIP Students
- The Eighth "Appreciation Party of UTokyo Foundation" Hosted by President Hamada
- Appreciation Party and my Revisit to the Hongo Campus: Ko-Yung Tung
- Mr. Kim of Stuyvesant H.S. Receives FUTI’s Travel Grant to Attend PEAK
- Mr. Kazutaka Yamaji Speaks in New York
- "Prepare for Spreading Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever," Explains Dr. Kuwama on TV
The articles in this issue were contributed by Yasuyuki Izumi, Hisashi Kobayashi, Yuichiro Kuwama, Shigenori Matsushita, Masako Osako, Ko-Yung Tung, and Masaaki Yamada. Editorial assistance is by Prof. Brian L. Mark (Professor, George Mason University).