On September 26, Friends of UTokyo Inc. (FUTI) hosted, jointly with the NY Icho-kai and Satsuki-kai America, a lecture meeting by Mr. Kazutaka Yamaji, Director General of Development Division, UTokyo, who visited New York to participate in FUTI‘s Annual Board of Directors Meeting (see a related article). The lecture meeting was held at a conference room of Community Resource Exchange (CRE) in the Wall Street district. About 30 alumni and friends attended the meeting, which turned out to be a very lively and stimulating gathering.
After FUTI President Hisashi Kobayashi’s welcome greeting, Mr. Yamaji discussed the current status of UTokyo and the challenges it faces, including its globalization and introduction of the four-term system. Having been a Director of the Board at Idemitsu Petrochemical Co., Ltd., and at Memory-Tech Corporation, Mr. Yamaji started his discussion by presenting his view of UTokyo from a “Businessman’s perspective.” His talk was followed by a lively “Q&A” session with the audience, many of whom work for banks or trading companies, or own their private enterprises.
Ms. Yuko Komiya, a staff of UTokyo’s “Taiken Katsudo” (Activities for Experiences)” program team also talked about the program, which started in 2012. She was visiting the New York/New Jersey area for planning and promotion of the program.
(Read this article in Japanese)
Articles in this newsletter:
- The Fifth Annual Campaign Not as Successful as in the Past
- The Annual Board Meeting and Board-AC Joint Meeting Held
- FUTI Website Completely Redesigned
- Excerpts of Reports by FUTI’s Scholarship Recipients in 2014
- FUTI Research Grants to Columbia-UTokyo Team and Berkeley’s BCTP-UTokyo’s Kavli IPMU Renewed
- Receptions for GSP and UTRIP Students
- The Eighth "Appreciation Party of UTokyo Foundation" Hosted by President Hamada
- Appreciation Party and my Revisit to the Hongo Campus: Ko-Yung Tung
- Mr. Kim of Stuyvesant H.S. Receives FUTI’s Travel Grant to Attend PEAK
- Mr. Kazutaka Yamaji Speaks in New York
- "Prepare for Spreading Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever," Explains Dr. Kuwama on TV
The articles in this issue were contributed by Yasuyuki Izumi, Hisashi Kobayashi, Yuichiro Kuwama, Shigenori Matsushita, Masako Osako, Ko-Yung Tung, and Masaaki Yamada. Editorial assistance is by Prof. Brian L. Mark (Professor, George Mason University).