Prof. Hisashi Kobayashi has been appointed as the new President of Friends of UTokyo, Inc. (FOTI), effective April 1 2011. Mr. Junji Masuda, a partner of Nagashima Ohno & Tsunematsu NY LLP, who had served as the founding President of FOTI since September 2007, will remain on the Board as President Emeritus.
Prof. Kobayashi, a former Dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Science and the Sherman Fairchild University Professor Emeritus of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Princeton University, joined FOTI’s Board as a Director in September 2007, and had chaired the FOTI Advisory Committee since June 2009.
Mr. Motoatsu Sakurai, President of Japan Society of New York and a former Ambassador and Consul General of Japan in New York, is the new chair of the Advisory Committee, which added five new members. They are: Mr. Shunichiro Kishioka, Chairman of ITA, Inc. and Honorary President of Chicago Akamon-kai; Dr. Yuichiro Kuwama, Medical Director of the Japanese Medical Practice at Beth Israel Medical Center; Dr. Geeta Mehta, Adjunct Professor at the Graduate School of Architecture Planning and Preservation at Columbia University; Mr. Yasuo Okamoto, partner, Hughes, Hubard & Reed LLP, and President of New York Icho-kai; and Mr. Seiei Ono, President and CEO of Mitsubishi International Corp.
Mr. Yasuo Fuskushima, who had served on the Board as Secretary & Treasurer since September 2007, resigned on May 1, 2011, and the Board is seeking nominations of candidates for a new Secretary and a new Treasurer (see the article below “Call for Nominations”).
Articles in this newsletter:
- Leadership Changes in FOTI
- Call for Nominations for new Secretary and Treasurer
- Dr. Hiroshi Komiyama, President Emeritus of UTokyo joins the FOTI Board
- Message from the President
- Seven U.S. Students and Six UTokyo Students receive FOTI Awards
- Over 2000 UTokyo Students attended the "Study Abroad Fair 2011" at the Komaba Campus
- UTokyo Ryuugakusei Alumni Lunch Discussion: Moving Forward after the Tohoku Earthquake