FUTI has renewed its research grant to the Columbia-UTokyo Joint LectureshipProgram led by Prof. Yasutomo Uemura of Columbia University. In 2011, as an outreach effort at Columbia and UTokyo, the “Frontiers of Condensed Matter Physics (F-CMP)” course was initiated based on live and video-recorded lectures for entry-level graduate students. In March 2013, with partial support of FUTI, 14 Columbia students went on a 10-day tour to Tokyo and Kyoto after taking the Japanese physics lecture course in the Fall 2012 Semester at Columbia via video broadcast under the guidance of Prof. Uemura.
FUTI’s grant of this year is intended to support the travels of 6 graduate students (2 from UTokyo, 1 from Kyoto, and 3 from Columbia): just like the 2012 New York tour for UTokyo students and the 2013 Japan tour for Columbia students. They will engage in research collaborations with F-CMP lecturers and grad students from their counterpart. Additionally, in the Fall 2013 Semester, they are planning to organize a live lecture course (G6022) of F-CMP at Columbia. The lecturers will include a few members of the Columbia Physics Department, Prof. Uchida of UTokyo who will be visiting Columbia for two months, plus several faculty members of Rutgers University and Rice University. (You can view a video on this project prepared by Prof. Yasumoto Uemura below).
Message to Friends of UTokyo, Inc from Prof. Yasumoto Uemura
Articles in this newsletter:
- Alumni in Japan and Illinois Make the Fourth Annual Campaign Successful
- The Annual Board and Advisory Committee Meeting Held
- Eight More Receive FUTI’s Summer Scholarships for Participating in GSP and Other Summer Programs
- UTokyo Students Challenge Summer Sessions at Yale
- Reception Held to Welcome UTokyo Students on a “Taiken” Program
- 2013 UTRIP Reception Held
- GSP Reception Held at UTokyo
- 450 Students Attend Overseas Study Orientation Program at Komaba
- FUTI’s Support of Kavli-IPMU’s Program Continues
- FUTI’s Grant to the Columbia-UTokyo Joint Lecture Program Renewed
- Dr. Fumiko Tamura Appointed "Advisor to Treasurer"
- Dr. Shigenori Matsushita joins the Award Committee
- Mr. Seiei Ono, FUTI Advisory Committee Member, Returns to Japan
- Mr. Sung Kie Paik, a New York Ichokai Member, Dies
- Blog Article: ”Science of Vowels” by Shigenori Matsushita
- Book Review, “Mathematicians Who Lost Their Faces: Essays in Idleness on Mathematics,” by Shoshichi Kobayashi