At the Board of Directors’ Annual Meeting of September 21, 2013, Dr. Masaaki Yamada, Director of University Relations, who chairs the scholarship award and research grant selection committee, announced the appointment of Dr. Shigenori Matsushita as a new member to the Committee, whose members are currently President Kobayashi, Dr. Masako Osako, FUTI staff and Ms. Nobuko Sakurai, a member of the FUTI Advisory Committee.
Dr. Matsushita received both his bachelor and doctor degrees from UTokyo in electrical engineering and was a Fulbright scholar to the University of Illinois, where he received his Masters degree. He led the computer Division of Toshiba Corporation and was Executive Vice President of Toshiba Information Systems in 1993-96. In 1996-2001, he was President of the Japanese subsidiary of Wink Communications. Since 2002 to the present , he has been serving as a director of the Board of a start-up company, DDS Inc., which specializes in finger-print recognition. Currently he is a visiting professor of the University of Chubu, Nagoya, giving lectures on globalization of economy and on IT applications. President Kobayashi remarks, “As we report in the article of our 2013 summer scholarship, an increasingly large number of students are applying for the summer program, especially the UTRIP program. I hope that Dr. Matsushita, who has been a strong supporter of FUTI since its inception, will help us strengthen our award programs.”
In 2003, Dr. Matsushita was elected a member of the Japanese Computer Pioneers by the IPSJ (Information Processing Society of Japan) Computer Museum. http://museum.ipsj.or.jp/en/pioneer/index.html For more details of his biography, please click here.
Articles in this newsletter:
- Alumni in Japan and Illinois Make the Fourth Annual Campaign Successful
- The Annual Board and Advisory Committee Meeting Held
- Eight More Receive FUTI’s Summer Scholarships for Participating in GSP and Other Summer Programs
- UTokyo Students Challenge Summer Sessions at Yale
- Reception Held to Welcome UTokyo Students on a “Taiken” Program
- 2013 UTRIP Reception Held
- GSP Reception Held at UTokyo
- 450 Students Attend Overseas Study Orientation Program at Komaba
- FUTI’s Support of Kavli-IPMU’s Program Continues
- FUTI’s Grant to the Columbia-UTokyo Joint Lecture Program Renewed
- Dr. Fumiko Tamura Appointed "Advisor to Treasurer"
- Dr. Shigenori Matsushita joins the Award Committee
- Mr. Seiei Ono, FUTI Advisory Committee Member, Returns to Japan
- Mr. Sung Kie Paik, a New York Ichokai Member, Dies
- Blog Article: ”Science of Vowels” by Shigenori Matsushita
- Book Review, “Mathematicians Who Lost Their Faces: Essays in Idleness on Mathematics,” by Shoshichi Kobayashi