Friends of UTokyo, Inc. (FUTI) is currently accepting applications for the summer study/internship awards under the 2012 FUTI International Leadership Award program. The program will support (a) U.S. students who attend summer programs/internships offered by UTokyo or its affiliated institution, and (b) UTokyo students who attend summer programs/internships offered by reputable U.S. institutions.
Please note that we do not organize or offer summer study/internship programs by ourselves; instead, we provide financial support (typically $3,000 to $4,000 depending on the program) to outstanding students who are admitted to summer programs offered by UTokyo or U.S. institutions. Such programs include, but not limited to, the Global Summer Program (GSP) offered by UTokyo, U.C. Berkeley or Yale, which are member universities of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), MIT Science and Technology Internship (MSTI) program, English Language Institute (ELI) at Yale, the University of Tokyo Research Internship Program (UTRIP).
Applicants for the FUTI summer award must be admitted by one of these or other reputable summer programs. So please contact the coordinator of the program of your interest, and/or the oversea study office at your own institution, as well as submitting your applications to FUTI. FUTI will work closely with these program offices in deciding whom to grant the FUTI summer award.
- For UTokyo students who plan to attend Yale’s English Language Institute and are interested in an FUTI Award (up to $4,000), the application deadline to FUTI is March 2 (Fri). Recommendation letters are due March 9 (Fri).
- For UTokyo students who plan to attend GSP courses at U.C. Berkeley or Yale and are interested in an FUTI Award ($3,000), the application deadline to FUTI is March 9 (Fri). Recommendation letters are due March 23 (Fri).
- UTokyo students who plan to apply for other summer courses or internship programs in U.S. universities or research laboratories are advised to contact FUTI as early as possible. The application deadline to FUTI is March 2 (Fri). Recommendation letters are due March 23 (Fri).
- For U.S. undergraduate students who apply for the UTRIP program of UTokyo and are interested in an FUTI Award (up to $4,000), the application deadline to FUTI is March 23 (Fri). Recommendation letters are also due March 23 (Fri).
- For U.S. students who apply to GSP at UTokyo (U.C. Berkeley and Yale students), MSTI (MIT students) and other summer programs, the application deadline to FUTI is March 2 (Fri)
We will notify you and your university’s oversea study program office about our decision at the same time when you will receive a decision notice from the summer program. If you are accepted by the summer program and are selected by FUTI , the Award will be sent to the U.S. university where you intend to study in the summer (in the case of UTokyo students) or where you are currently enrolled (in the case of U.S. students). An exception can be made depending on the circumstance. For the application procedure and other details, please refer to the Grants and Awards of FUTI’s website.
In the summer of 2011, seven U.S. students and six UTokyo students received FUTI’s Summer Awards (a.k.a. FUTI International Leadership Awards). Please see the FUTI 2011 Annual Report (pp. 6-8), the Roster of Recipients and the FUTI blog page.
Articles in this newsletter:
- Cambridge University Press publishes Kobayashi’s latest book
- 2011 Annual Report now available on the Website
- Welcome to FUTI’s New Facebook Page!
- Profile: Ms. Amy Vaida
- Kobayashi gives a keynote on Research of the Future Internet
- Prof. Koichi Hamada gives a Keynote on Homecoming Day
- Fundraising Campaign Continues
- Call for Proposals for the 2012 FUTI Grant Program
- Call for applications for the 2012 FUTI Summer Award
- Shintech Trust Fund extended for five more years
- Ms. Sumiko Ito becomes Treasurer and Director of FUTI
- Prof. Akihiko Tanaka to head JICA
- A Message from Dr. Hiroshi Komiyama, an Honorary Director of FUTI